Thursday, January 2, 2014

Project DC5 Update: Wheels, Tires, Coilovers, Fogs, and More!


Hello and welcome to another addition of Lexi.Laron's Project DC5.  I last left off with an article about my torque damper installation and have since gone through quite a few different modifications.

Aside from the new wheels and tires, coilovers, and fog lights, I have had some great experiences and have made some awesome DIY's as well.  I've attempted to make parts for the car, eventually giving up the idea due to impracticality, and I've been looking toward the future to with my own K24 build up which I will cover in later articles.

So, long story short, It's time to catch you guys up.

I purchased a set of gold, reverse-stagger CR Kai's in bronze in shotty condition.  They had paint chips in them, but when spun on the balancer they were not out-of-round.  Here's what they looked like when I first got them.



For a while I was debating on re-selling them too, given that I had got them for such a cheap price.  But with encouragement from my girlfriend and from my friends and family, I decided to keep them and do a little something special to them through Vibrant Finish in Penndel, PA.  Here are the specs:

Championship White CR Kai's
17x9" +42 mm offset up front
17x8" +32 mm offset in rear


I was super stoked to get them on, but when you're in school and you're funding all of your own ish, it's not so easy as a lot of you already know.  So I sat around for a while and attended meets and chilled with car friends!  For example, I went to #ShrinkAllTheCars in 2013 with all of my friends!





And while going to #ShrinkAllTheCars in 2013, I heard a loud popping sound..but I ignored it.

However, when I got to FDR Park in Philadelphia, I was notified very rudely about how my tire was flat due to my "VTEC kicking in too hard."  Needless to say, I pulled over, tried to fill up my tire, but was unsuccessful and had to resort to this:



Well that was a kick in the butt.  It's funny how in the car world when something f**ks up on your car sometimes it forces you to replace it with something even better.  It was exactly this that forced me to finally pick up a dang set of Sumitomo HTR Z III's through N-Spire Performance and have them mounted and balanced.



Finally, I had a set of aftermarket wheels on my car.  It's something I had been working on at the time...I didn't want to just settle for a set of knock-offs and I pay for my car myself, so it was important that I could buy it and still be on-budget.  I couldn't have been happier with the results!







However, as it usually goes, the modding bug always bites back and it wasn't too soon before EVERYONE was telling me I needed to lower my car!  So, again, I looked through my budget, planned carefully and BIT THE BULLET!

N-Spire Performance had some issues with Tein due to a discontinuation on the Tein Super Street's with the Pillowball Upper Mounts, but as always, Josh came through and hooked me up with a set of Street Flex's for the same price.  Thanks N-Spire!

It was installation time >:)



Then I went to get the car aligned after having the coilovers installed.


Followed by a healthy fender roll out back.


And of course I had to do a photo shoot after all of this ish was done:




Then I made some small adjustments...Honda decals and Work Emotion CR Kai decals for my wheels.



That's as far as I've come with my baby.  In the distant future I aim to be dropping a k24 frank into my Type-S!  I've already obtained the block and began my dissection which I will cover in some articles in the future ;)



Thanks for reading guys!  I am thankful for my fan base and wish you all the best!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment