Sunday, January 12, 2014

Wisconsin Update: Motor Swaps, Friends, New Parts, and Controversy

So I've had a hell of a weekend.  On Friday I came home to an RBB cylinder head from a TSX and was planning to go to Rockford, Illinois to help Mike of Secret Society with pulling the B18C, Type-R Motor from his Civic seen below:


However, with the terrible Wisconsin weather, I had to abort the mission because even walking in my gym parking lot was treacherous.  I could only imagine what driving with summer tires would be like.  Sorry Mike!

Yet with all of the difficulties I still have been keeping in touch with Mike and he has kept me in the loop for this project.  The plan was initially to rebuild his B18C.  Yet, after finding a fully built motor, Mike decided to trade the B18C with cash on top and make a clean getaway.


Pulling the motor out, everything went smoothly and within a short period of time the motor was out of the chassis and on a stand, leaving Mike with an empty engine bay.


What kind of power will be residing between the wheels of the FWD beast next?


Although most of this process went smooth, the inspection of the engine mounts proved that nothing is perfect.  


Racing puts a large amount of stress on a car and this is why when you buy aftermarket parts you should always buy quality ones.  Especially when something is holding your engine.


The sad thing is that Mike did buy quality parts.  Innovative Motor Mounts are some of the best known motor mounts in the game!  Yet, with only a couple of races on this Civic, the mounts looked destroyed.  Check this out:


Supposedly Mike will be picking up his new engine on Monday and with any luck I'll have an update to post on here for you guys...

With me at home and Mike on the move with his motor swap I had to find something to do for myself on Friday.  I was so bored and there was no way that I was going to drive anywhere far for anything given the weather.  So, I hit up my buddy Zack and his girlfriend Cailyn.

These guys have been great to me.  They've always come through when I've been lonely around here and have never failed to show me a good time.  Good friends close by are a must when you're far away from home and feeling sad.  I recommend this treatment for anyone.  Thanks guys!


We saw The Lone Survivor with Mark Wahlberg, grabbed some wings, and headed back to Zack's crib for some Call of Duty and Gran Turismo 5.  And after I got done shredding some virtual rubber with my bro and his girl, I decided to head home in my Type-S.  However, things got pretty bad after I had an accident.

The event was incredibly stressful and I am glad that everyone is safe now.  The happenings at least made for good stories with my co-workers from my job when we hit up the Wisconsin Badger's Hockey Game.  The Badgers came out on top, and my buddy, Bobby and I went back to our home in Janesville for a relaxing time watching TV.

Before I went to sleep I posted some pictures of my RBB Cylinder Head to my Facebook page where I keep an album of my engine build for Project DC5.  I will also be including this in the "Engine Building for Dummies" Series that I host on this blog-- so be patient-- you can see the details too ;).


I gotta say, this build has been taking an extremely long time and I'm still not sure I'll even get it done given the cost of everything and the impatience of the average young adult.  I mean, I see my friends getting new wheels, sweet body kits, slicks, superchargers, and I'm taking my time with this slow build that really won't even make a lot of power all for the sake of learning.  It's frustrating.


It's just that when I see the progress I've made and the things I've learned, it makes me think it's all worth it again.  When I blog and I get a bunch of views because of my stories it really inspires me.  When people reach out to me for information and I can teach them, I feel extremely fulfilled.  And when I can learn, it feels like I am really immersing myself in my true passion-- cars.


Given all of those things, please expect more from me in the future.  I know that this blog can sometimes fall behind, but it's all of you faithful readers that really make me all the more motivated in a time of dire prospects.

Lexi.Laron signing out, and wishing you all a great day or night wherever you are.  Peace!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment