Sunday, September 1, 2013

RSX Hood Latch Reinforcement Brace

Hey guys, long time no post-- again.



If you own an RSX, you're probably familiar with the hood latch problem chronic to these cars.  The flimsy piece of sheet metal that the hood latch mounts to often brakes off and the only way to fix the problem is to buy a new, still flimsy metal piece to hold the hood latch.



The metal piece is called the front bulkhead and costs about $30 from Acura.



There are other ways to fix it.  For example, you can JB Weld bolts back into the bulkhead.  Or, you can weld around the holes to strengthen them.  Some people just tie the hood down with some string.

Being the inventive person I am, I decided to forgo all of those alternatives and just make a reinforcement brace that fixes the problem at a cheap cost.

I started by measuring stuff out.



Then I sent my specs over to a friend who is skilled in Solidworks and he came up with a test template!


I must have taken the front of my car off like eight times to get more measurements.  For every hole that didn't line up, I sent my machinist/friend the new dimensions and we discussed design ideas until he sent me a second prototype template.


The new template has been measured and modified and soon enough this piece will be ready to be cut out of some metal!


The picture above is a preview of what the finished product may look like.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment