Sunday, February 5, 2012

Modification: When is it Worth it?

When I roll up to car meets, the first thing people say is usually, nice car, "did you buy it," and secondly, "you should put an exhaust on it, it'd sound nice."

Well, let me address the first question before I get into this article on whether or not modification is worth it.  I did buy my car.  It comes with years of hard work and parents who raise you well.  Nexxtttt, ask me something more interesting next time!

So, then they ask me about exhaust.  Usually they'll say, "you should drop it" or "what's with the all-season truck tires?" And I'd bet the average car-meet-guy out there would agree with the other average car-meet-guys and say something like, "YEAH, PUT AN EXHAUST ON IT!"

But, truthfully guys, I love my stock Type-S exhaust, and my car handles like a rally car in the snow with those tires. 

Is an exhaust really gonna make all the difference when I line up at a traffic light with some souped up GTI?  More importantly, do I even care about some modified civic in his search for street racing glory?

NOO!!  Let me tell you exactly why I haven't modified my car yet.

1.)  Money:  quality parts from Japan cost a lot of money whem shipped to the US. These parts offer many things which American and Chinese knockoffs can't.
     A.)  Originality-- who do you know with an RSX Type-S and a J's Racing ram-air intake?  How about a Feel's exhaust or an INGS+1 body kit?  I don't know anyone with that stuff in the Philly area...
     B.)  Quality-- I mean come on, they're Japanese!  XD

And then there's...

2.)  I love driving my car.

At the end of a long work week, I love to hit up windy, bumpy, hilly back roads in my RSX and fly over asphalt!

Lowering my car would only compromise my ability to pass over bumps without bottoming out.

Keeping my exhaust stock allows me to comfortably ride at low RPMs when I decide that I just want to cruise, and in the end, if that's what I love to use my car for, then that's all I'm gonna use it for!

So, is modification worth it?  It depends.

If you have a specific application that you feel your cars chassis could handle with some hop-ups, then by all means, go for it!

I'm sure slapping a small turbo on your SOHC D-Series would be awesome for spirited street driving.

If you're building an all motor drag car, then I'm sure you'd love to put standoff injectors on your Toda ITBs.

But me, I'm fine with my car just the way she is-- a true Type-S.  And she's not changing!

...At least for now ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment