Thursday, July 21, 2011

The Window is Finally Fixed!!!

I promised I'd bring you pictures of the fixed window. There was a car show going on at Sonic in Bensalem, PA that night, and I KNEW I had to be there...so I fixed my window.

A couple nights before this all went down, I was working on my door, and I realized that the black mirror mount that attaches to the front rail inside of the door was broken. Two of the three metal brackets had snapped off sometime WITHIN the door and I had to JB Weld them back together.

On day two, I finished up adding the fabric to the bottom of my window panel's cup. I used green felt because 1.) it was all I had and 2.) it contrasted pretty well with the beige leather.

I cut out a pattern on a piece of paper and transfered it to the felt with marker.


Then I test fitted it in the window panel.

To assure that this piece of felt would withstand the torture of door panel rigor, I conditioned it with masking tape on the bottom and cut it to the shape of the felt.


And once that was done, I clear coated the "door lock" and "window lock" font that I redid with white out.

As I proceeded to take apart the door, I realized just how badly the previous owner messed up this car. Take a look at the SLOTTED FREAKING SCREW in the door, holding the window up. There should probably be some sort of TOYOTA bolt there.

I removed the window regulator bolts, and I began to remove the window bolts.

Here's a pic of the window being removed from the door.

There was a bunch of sticky stuff on the bottom of the window that I had to clean up. I took a rag, a brush, acetone, and some of my own spit to clean up this mess.

Here's some grime! :)

That concluded my second day of work on the window.

For the third day of work, I meant business. On this day, Dillon created a sh**load of work for himself by completely disassembling the door and all of the window tracks.
Here's me at FOUR IN THE MORNING! >:(
I love coffee.

DAY 3

Let the work begin! This is the black mirror mount which screws onto the window's front rail. As you can see, two of the three brackets were broken, and this could be why my window shook when I closed and opened my car door.

I had to fix it. I started by placing the mirror mount in a vice.

First, I test fitted the broken piece onto the mirror, and then I started up the grinder :).


I ground down the broken piece

and buffed the mirror mount.





It's not pretty...but it works.

Here's the window mount with the slotted screw that NEVER EVER BELONGED THERE.

I actually had to clamp down the mount in a vice, and THEN attempt to remove the screw.

The screw wasn't even the right size, so I had to take a vice grip and twist it out.

Vini Vidi Vicci!

Then I rethreaded the mount with a new bolt


I like to do stuff with window regulators.

I like to lube pulley jawns for fun.


I lube window tracks.

Door

Door

Door

Door

Here's the fixed thing.

Here's the fixed thing in the door.

And that's the end of the night...

__________________________________
DAY 4

First I put the inside of the door together, including the window track and the support beam.



And after everything was roughly fitted up, I adjusted the window to fit inside of the door frame.



Here's what the result looks like. This is before...

And this is after.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment