Saturday, July 16, 2011

0-60 in a Year

Don't think I forgot about you guys! I definitely remembered that I made this blog FOR my LEXUS and not for a Hyundai or for a Nissan or for any other cars you've seen on here.

However, I will be showcasing other cars as well...

Anyway, variety is the spice of life! So, I'll continue to do that, but today, I have brought you a couple of pics of my Lexus, and a video at the end of the post, as well.

Today I ran an OBD-II diagnostics test on my '94 Lexus ES300 to check out its mileage, engine temperature consistency, short and long trim fuel banks, throttle position, trouble codes, and more. Here are some pictures I took of Lexi in my friend Seth's driveway.






We took the car out on the road without any door panel or mirror on the driver side, and we decided to test out just how efficiently this car was running. So, let's go over the trouble codes first.

Yes, yes, I ran a diagnostics test and received trouble codes. The two codes are for an electric shift solenoid and for an exhaust recirculation valve-- pretty cool eh? :(


Seth and I rolled out of the driveway and started our test right after we adjusted the tripod in the backseat of my 94 ES and set up the OBD-II scantool.


Right out of the driveway, I noticed something peculiar things.
The car was consuming a lot of fuel just during an idle, and it was probably due in part to the throttle position.

Fuel Consumption versus Time

Throttle Position was open to 10%, and I assume that was too high (considering the car was idling just above 1000 rpm.


Here are the results we pulled on our way to the gas station.

This is a screenshot of the OBD scantool's dashboard at about 30 mph

While climbing a hill with a grade of about 8%, it was pretty obvious that my gas mileage was terrbile, whether cold, malfunctioning, or just old, the engine had NO excuse for its behavior!

And this next picture shows the car's gas mileage at idle in the Wawa Parking Lot while warm.

We filled the car up with gas, and umm adjusted the camera again.



Then we hit up Route 1.


As we began to cruise the highway, Lexi showed some signs of improvement, her instantaneous mpg going northbound was actually 21 MPG, and on the way back it was pretty good too! Check out the total MPGs.

Northbound...

Southbound with improved overall MPG rating.

And after all of that, Seth wanted to see a 0-60 MPH run in my 94 Lexus, because he knows it's so fast.

Here's the YouTube vid. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment